[eclipse.org-committers] Eclipse downtime update

Hi Everyone,

 Here is a quick update on our planed downtimes:

1. Backend maintenance
2. Networking gear upgrade

1. Backend maintenance

We've now got the parts required to repair the raid cache controllers in our backend and build servers. Not having the controllers running at 100% has been hurting performance. As such we plan to make repairs on Saturday August the 15th starting at 8pm(EDT). Since the systems need to be shutdown it means that almost all Eclipse.org services will be unavailable for about 4 hours while the parts are replaced.

2. Networking gear upgrade

At EclipseCon, Cisco gave us some great networking equipment that will give us some breathing room under our bandwidth cap. We are currently topped out on our 100 megabit firewall and load balancer. After some months of planning and configuration work, it's time to replace some of our aging hardware with the new gear. We will be using the weekend of August 22-23 to upgrade key pieces of our networking equipment. Because this affects all services there will be some down time on those days. Karl and Denis will be starting at 8am Eastern on Saturday the 22nd. All of the work may be completed that day, but there could be intermittent down time for the remainder of the weekend as we fine tune the new configuration and verify reliability of our services. We will do our best to make the downtime as short as possible, but you should expect that all services may be difficult to use or largely unavailable during that time frame. We appreciate your understanding!

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx

Matt.

--

Eclipse WebMaster - webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx