[eclipse.org-committers] Infra Upcoming

Greetings,

It's summertime in the webmaster office, and since the weather has been quite awful, we have nothing better to do than to investigate new tools and toys to make your lives easier (as a Committer, anyway).

1. New Cisco devices
2. Bugzilla upgrade
3. Forum software
4. Git
5. Site performance & the current bottleneck

1. New Cisco devices

In August we'll be deploying the new Cisco switches, firewalls and load-balancing equipment that was donated to us back in April. There likely won't be a noticeable performance increase, but these new Gigabit devices will replace our maxed-out 100 megabit units.

2. Bugzilla upgrade

We've been running Bugzilla 3.0.x for a long time, as we skipped the upgrade to Bugzilla 3.2.  Since Bugzilla 3.4 is due out in August, we figure that it would be a great time to upgrade.

Bugzilla 3.4 has many new features and improvements, such as a new, modern UI.  Yes, a new UI... Expect some growing pains during this migration as things have moved around.  You can preview the new UI on Bugzilla's landfill site.

3. Forum software

Many have been asking for this for a long time.  We intend on 'deprecating' our existing News web interface in favour of a full-featured forum software.  For the avatar- and smiley-challenged, fear not: the good old NNTP newsgroups aren't going anywhere, since the forum software will only act as a front-end to nntp.  But the untrained eye will never know...

4. Git

If you've read Mike Milinkovich's     Mike Milinkovichs    Mike Milinkoviches   Mike's blog post then you know Git is coming to Eclipse.  Bug 257706 is at the heart of the effort.

5. Site performance & the current bottleneck

There's always a server bottleneck slowing us down, and this time it's one of our RAID arrays which, lately, is awfully busy.  Since more projects are now using build.eclipse.org or a project vserver to run builds, please remember the following:

- Continuous Integration is not free -- every build you produce uses expensive server resources.
- Home directories are not working directories.  The Build server's /shared array is the only suitable place to run builds.
- Do you need to copy (and keep) the Eclipse SDKs in your home directory?

If you need help setting up your build process, please don't hesitate to ask on the cross-project mailing list.  If you're not sure you're using resources responsibly, contact the webmaster.  We're here to help.

Thanks for reading.  If you have any questions or concerns, please use this list, or contact us at webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Denis, Matt and Karl.

Back to the top