[eclipse.org-committers] Eclipse infrastructure update

Greetings,

A few words about the state of the Eclipse servers...

The Good
========

Ganymede rolled out with maximum excitement and minimal outages. Eclipse.org throughput peaked at 270 megabits/second on release day.

Also, mailing list and newsgroup posts now only take a few minutes to appear on the archives, instead of hours, while consuming fewer resources.

The Bad
=======

Our main database/file server is saturated at peak times*. This is affecting performance to some sites, such as the Wiki. We have plans to fix this.

* Peak times for Eclipse servers are every morning, Monday-Thursday from 2:00am to 6:00am and 8:00am to 11:00am Eastern. For some reason, Friday's load is much lighter.

The Ugly
========

Disk space usage has peaked for Ganymede, and I'm guessing many teams left for vacation without cleaning up dev builds.

- Archive/Download.eclipse.org: 247G and 249G respectively. Since January/08 we've been adding 17G/month.

- Build.eclipse.org: /shared is at 80% capacity, with only 44G free. WTP and EPP are consuming >50G each.

- Tape backup: 3.1T/month, up from 2.5T in April. Tape backup space over 3.0T/month incurs cost to the Foundation.

Anything you do to reduce disk space waste is a benefit to us all.

Thanks for reading,

Denis

--

Eclipse WebMaster - webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx