Re: [eclipse.org-committers] portal available for new committer voting

My first, question ...

> I would prefer that inquiry start with your dev lists and get
> forwarded to me when there is no answer forthcoming there.

What dev list is that? "your dev lists"?

My main question/comment, is that the portal is, apparently, currently assuming a perfect one-one mapping between cvs unix groups, and voting rights,
and our WTP project is not up to date there. A number of months ago, we started to use more fine grained committer-component groups, but purposely
did not push that down to the unix groups (to avoid administration problems). So ... what to do?

Next, is this process open to non-committers? >From what I can see, only committers can see this portal? And, IMHO, seems it should be more open than that.

Also, what problem was this to solve? Seems like a lot of automation and presumably investment for a pretty narrow use-case.

Thanks,

Ward Cunningham <ward.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-committers-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/09/2007 08:04 PM

eclipse.org-committers@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[eclipse.org-committers] portal available for new committer voting

The Eclipse MyFoundation portal is now available for new committer
elections. The portal is the preferred way to conduct elections and
will be the only way to conduct elections soon. Elections in progress
should be completed as always. But new nominations should begin at:

                http://portal.eclipse.org

Committers will find there a link labeled "[Nominate]" which will
begin the nomination process. Elections started on the portal should
be conducted on the portal. You will receive email reminding you to
go to the portal to cast your votes there. PMCs will get email
reminders too when it is time for them to act.

I have written blog posts that introduce the portal concept:

                http://eclipse-projects.blogspot.com/2007/02/myfoundation-portal-1-
of-12.html

And show how voting progresses:

                http://eclipse-projects.blogspot.com/2007/02/portal-voting-2-of-12.html

I am happy to answer questions about the portal and portal based
voting. I would prefer that inquiry start with your dev lists and get
forwarded to me when there is no answer forthcoming there.

Of course bugs and feature enhancement requests are welcome through
bugzilla.

                Classification: Eclipse Foundation
                Product: Community
                Component: Portal

Our initial response to the portal has been quite positive. I hope
your experience is likewise.

Best regards. -- Ward

--
Ward Cunningham
Director, Committer Community Development