[eclipse.org-committers] IP at Eclipse - Looking back on 2006 and Forward to 2007

As I drove into work this morning, I was reflecting back on the past year.  A lot has changed over the last year, a trend I expect to continue.   I thought I would take some time to share with you what the IP Group has been up to over the last year and some of the activity already underway in 2007.

During 2006 we:

  • Created an IP Process poster to help better communicate the steps involved in the IP Process and updated it twice.
  • Added two full time resources to improve our responsiveness (Sharon Corbett in March & Jihong Yang in June);
  • Began using Black Duck’s software to review code submissions;
  • Began using Palamida’s software to review code submissions;
  • Upgraded our scan tool to allow us to do differential analysis on submissions - meaning we can now review the delta’s between versions of a package, rather than starting from scratch with each review;
  • Implemented IPZilla to improve transparency in the IP review process; and
  • Created a policy on Implementing the IP Policy that allowed for expedited Board approval of non-EPL content;

We are just into 2007 and we have already seen the following changes:

  • IPZilla enhancements have been implemented to enable us to better serve the community:
    • A new menu option in Committer tools, called Initiate an IP discussion using IPZilla has been created.  Using this option, committers can open new IPBugs to discuss IP issues.
    • Historically approved non-EPL content is now included in IPZilla’s records – If you want to know what non-EPL content is already in use at Eclipse, it is now easy to find;
    • Functionality has been enabled in IPZilla that will enable us to “push” IPZilla information out to the PMCs and Project Leads;
    • Project Leads are now automatically copied on all IPBugs related to their project.
  • Many IPZilla bugs have been resolved;
  • The IP Policy has been changed (effective January 17, 2007) to enable incubating projects to get up and running in parallel to the full due diligence review.  See Mike’s Blog for more on this:  http://milinkovich.blogspot.com/2007/01/parallel-ip-approvals-for-incubating.html;
  • A new server has been ordered to enable us to upgrade to the newer version of Black Duck which has significant improvements in functionality;

More changes are on the way:

  • Modifications to the Implementing the IP Policy policy are now before the Board for consideration that would introduce parallelism into the Board approval process so that post review we would be in a position to immediately approve the submission rather than awaiting Board approval – a process that typically takes an additional 15 days;
  • We are investigating code analyzers that could be used by the community to identify nested jar files, a constant challenge for both our team and the committer community.  I’ve created an IPBug to give us all a place to exchange ideas and information on this topic.  If you know of a tool that would help the community with this, please contribute to the bug.
  • Stay tuned for updates to the IP Process poster to reflect IP process streamlining.

The IPZilla enhancements and bug fixes will make a significant difference in our productivity and ability or serve the community better.  A big thank you goes out to Denis for his efforts on this front.   We will continue to work with the Community and our Board to find opportunities to improve the service that we provide.  I want to thank you for your patience as we continue to implement changes such as these.

Cheers,

Janet

Janet Campbell

Legal Counsel & Manager, Intellectual Property

Eclipse Foundation Inc.

Phone:  (613) 224-9461, x.229 (GMT -5)

Fax:  (613) 224-5172

Email:  janet.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxx