Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Real names in git commit messages

On 2020-03-11 1:58 p.m., Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:
On Mar 11, 2020, at 17:11, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Other CLAs don't require public disclosure of email addresses and names (e.g. CNCF, Microsoft, Google)
Although they do not require public disclosure they do require signing. Signing unveils the real name and identity to the companies, doesn't it? They can then map that identify to a GitHub id. Otherwise, it would be the first time I hear of these companies accepting anonymous contributions. AFAIK no one is.

Personally, I haven't put much thought into this topic, though. My first reaction is: no way. Contributions and open source rely on a level of trust. How would you trust someone entirely anonymous? But then again, I can see a point of data privacy, which is a general problem of Git. Although, this could be mitigated by having the EF be a trusted source, which maps anonymous ids to real identities when needed.

On data privacy the DCO used by Eclipse, Linux Foundation, and many other major open source communities states that the identity of contributors is a matter of public record. Please see highlighted text below.

Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1

By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

  1. The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated in the file or
  2. The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license and I have the right under that license to submit that work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated in the file or
  3. The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it.
  4. I understand and agree that this project and the contribution are public and that a record of the contribution (including all personal information I submit with it, including my signoff) is maintained indefinitely and may be redistributed consistent with this project or the open source license(s) involved.
--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)

Back to the top