Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] IPZilla rant

On Aug 30, 2018, at 22:43, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is likely a discussion mainly for the board level since they make the rules.

Depends on which rules, and based on my short experience, I have the feeling as developers, we make more rules that affect our peers than what the Board can make, and it's better like this!

IPzilla as well a PMI are both implementation of process/policies. While the board requests and approves things like the EDP and the IP policy it usually leaves the implementation of the Foundation. However, the board discusses finances. Thus, if there is a need to invest into the tools this should be brought up for discussion. IMHO it's either headcount or consulting that would be required for any significant change/progress. IPzilla is pretty dated but is a huge database. Not easily replaceable. Also keep in mind that we developers only work occasionally with it. The IP team lives in it every single day. Thus, there needs should probably have higher priority.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/