Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Why Nexus Pro then? (was Maven Central (was Re: Nov 9 Minutes))

Hi all,

I recently released the Mylyn Docs EPUB Core components to Maven Central, through OSSRH. The Foundation team was very helpful setting it all up, and it was only my incompetence that made me have to do a few attempts to make it work. That, and the fact that the same build job is producing both p2 bundles and Maven modules. Anyway, the publishing process was fairly painless.

As more of the code we produce are consumable outside of a p2/Eclipse plug-in context, I think it makes sense that we make it as easy as possible for our projects to publish to a public Maven repository.

So, in general I’m all in favour of having an official Eclipse Foundation Maven repository. In particular because we already have a good database with all our committers and their credentials. I think that could be plugged in to the repository, so that we would not have to ask an external entity for permission to publish Eclipse artefacts for each project.

I also second Mikaël on having a proxy with possibly better uptime numbers.

However, there is some cost involved in this, whether we have to pay for Nexus Pro or not. I suspect they will give it to us for free. But we still would have to integrate and maintain it. Do we have enough projects wanting to publish to Maven to make it worthwhile? I think we should ask the PMCs to provide a list of all the projects interested in publishing to Maven. That might give us some idea of whether or not we should move forward with this.

Best regards,
Torkild