Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Why Nexus Pro then? (was Maven Central (was Re: Nov 9 Minutes))

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Mikaël Barbero <mikael.barbero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
AFAICT, none.
[...]
oops, hit send too fast.

:D
Those kind of answer says a lot about how your deep opinion on this question ;)

However, Nexus is not only used for repository hosting, it is also used as a maven central proxy for Eclipse projects. As we've experienced some months ago, when repo.eclipse.org goes down, all projects builds are failing. Nexus Pro has some HA capabilities that the OSS version does not. This is where Nexus Pro would be interesting, at least from an infra point of view.

Ok.
What would be interesting would be to have some metrics about the uptime (with "up" meaning working as expected) of the current Nexus recently, to have some metrics evaluating the "annoyance" caused by current Nexus (eg: Nexus made projects not build-able N hours per months). Ideally, those could be shown on https://status.eclipse.org/ .
I have the impression that this uptime is now good, and Nexus is not any more an issue these days.

So far, I still don't feel convinced that the Nexus Pro cost and effort is worth it for our community; so unless the metrics suggested above or some new arguments change my mind, it's not an idea I would bring nor fully support at the Board.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community

Back to the top