Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] OpenJDK going GPL, EPLv2... => can we include OpenJDK?

Mickael,

I think the IP Advisory Committee and the IP team would be best to have the legal discussion. IMHO the two important things among that discussion are: distribution and liability.

As far as the AC is concerned, we need to discuss whether we want to get into the business of shipping a JRE with the Eclipse Packages and all its technical implications (think security vulnerabilities, response time, communications, respins, etc.) or whether we want to delegate this to an external entity (eg., Linux distribution packager/maintainers).

Bluntly speaking, I have strong reservations that we have the resources currently to manage such a process with the infrastructure at hand and voluntary time of contributors.

Oh and last but not least, we do have an EPLv2 licensed JVM at Eclipse:

It doesn't provide binaries, though.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht