Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Cleaning up Eclipse Marketplace Solution Entries?

If the update site is gone, we shouldn't show the project in the marketplace. The only issue there is making sure we don't delete entries that are valid because of a glitch in their hosting provider.

When you browse or query the marketplace, we should have the default for what is returned be "things valid for the current release" of Eclipse, with an option on the results page to chose other versions and/or all versions.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Nick Boldt ---2017/07/10 09:30:00---Would this be limited to old entries targeting old versions of EcNick Boldt ---2017/07/10 09:30:00---Would this be limited to old entries targeting old versions of Eclipse, or would you want to do clea

From: Nick Boldt <nboldt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2017/07/10 09:30
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Cleaning up Eclipse Marketplace Solution Entries?
Sent by: eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Would this be limited to old entries targeting old versions of Eclipse, or would you want to do cleanup of current entries which include old versions (targeting old versions of Eclipse) ?

For example, I recently removed the Juno- and Indigo-based versions of the JBoss Tools connector [1] because there's a hard limit on the # of features that can be displayed in a given solution listing, and because that's 4-5 year old code.

[1] https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/jboss-tools

Nick

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    +1 for cleanup, dead entries gives marketplace a bad reputition.

    On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Dr. Marcel Bruch
    <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Dear AC members,
    >
    > I was doing some research on 3rd party code search engines integrated into the Eclipse IDE. During that search I noticed that a fair share of the plug-ins I found via the Eclipse marketplace are outdated, their update sites do not exist anymore, and sometimes even their websites are gone.
    >
    > I think that such entries should be removed from the Marketplace - or at least hidden from standard searches and listings. Those entries let the Eclipse IDE look like an old, rotting piece of software and does harm to the general perception of the Eclipse Ecosystem.
    >

    > I wonder whether I’m alone with that perception and whether it makes sense to ask the Foundation to strive for a data cleanup in their database. I also wondered whether this is a topic for the AC; The mission statement on our Wiki website makes me think so [1]. Thus, I’d like to put this question on the agenda of our next meeting (Thursday) so see how others feel about this topic.
    >
    > – Marcel
    >

    > [1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Architecture_Council:
    >
    > The Eclipse Architecture Council (EAC) serves the Community by identifying and tackling any issues that hinder Eclipse's continued technological success and innovation, widespread adoption, and future growth. This involves technical architecture as well as open source processes and social aspects.

    > IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal to the Eclipse Foundation.  To be permanently removed from this list, you must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.

    CEO vogella GmbH

    Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
    Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058