Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] New IP Process [Was - Re: 11-Aug AC meeting notes]

On 8/16/2016 6:43 AM, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:

On 12 Aug 2016, at 15:32, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do you have an existence proof of a company that ship code from the Eclipse Foundation but refuses to ship code from Apache?

I vaguely remember conversations at EclipseCon's where people mentioned that they only consume OSS from Orbit - even the Apache stuff. This essentially means that there might be companies shipping Apache code after it had been reviewed by the EF IP team. Sounds like a business opportunity. ;)

But again, its hear-say and thus, no proof.

I think my main point is that the perceived risk of open source has changed a lot in the 12 years since the Eclipse Foundation came into being. No other open source organization does the level of due diligence that we have historically done, and we are trying to re-calibrate the effort from our projects and our staff to be more in line with industry standards.

But my question was a serious one. If anyone knows of companies that ship code from Eclipse but not Apache, that would be really interesting to know.

Back to the top