Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The Opportunity

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:42 AM, John Arthorne <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just one comment here - that survey looks so completely foobar it hurts.

The OS stats goes against every other stat available on this area.
If OSX really is 26% of their users then its weird 35% prefer a Windows only dev environment (Visual Studio).

Unless stack overflow would also publish the actual OS usage stats they track I seriously
distrust that survey.

Getting off topic, but where is the inconsistency there? The survey shows >50% of developers using Windows, so 35% using VS is not inconsistent with that. The survey certainly has the problem that some questions are "pick one" and others are "pick all that apply", which skews some of the results.

Precisely. I also think the number for Sublime, which is mainly a Mac tool, also gives some credence to the Mac number. And, I know it's not scientific in any way, but I've spend the last year and a half learning about cloud development as we started building some tooling that runs there, and almost all tutorials for front-end technologies out on internet are done using Sublime on a Mac.

At any rate, it's just one data point. I've been in the tools industry a long time. If I've learned anything, it's that developers don't trust tools and demand choice. You may convince some developers to move their code exclusively to the web, but I really want to see the independent market research that shows this will become mainstream to the degree that would grow the Eclipse community four fold.

Doug

John