Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Next Meeting?

+1

From: <eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jay Jay Billings <jayjaybillings@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday 17 March 2016 at 20:38
To: "eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Next Meeting?

+1 to the newsletter idea. That would be great.

Jay

On Mar 17, 2016 1:58 PM, "Mickael Istria" <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/17/2016 06:47 PM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:
My suggestion would be to have a full Eclipse newsletter dedicated to the great things happening in the desktop IDE, perhaps including a discussion of how the Eclipse Foundation is committing resources to help enhance the platform via FEEP. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a Coke versus Pepsi FAQ is all that helpful. I would be concerned that it would come across as defensive. A strong, consistent, and positive message is the best way to remind everyone about the continued health of the desktop IDE.
OK. I agree that the best way to promote the IDE is still and will forever be to implement good things in it and to promote them, whatever the competitors/partners/cousins are.

Actually, I named the FAQ "Eclipse IDE vs Eclipse Che" but it could be titled "Eclipse IDE and Eclipse Che" with more positive messages. I didn't have the impression that examples of Q&A I wrote sound defensive, but as I'm not an English native speaker I probably miss some subtleties.
There are really people who are confused and anxious about the future of the Eclipse IDEs because there are 2 similar products with similar branding. They felt with the previous announce that Eclipse IDE wouldn't remain developed and maintained in a sustainable way. I really believe it needs to be written somewhere and shared to the crowd that both are and will remain actively developed and that the community and Foundation are OK with that.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat