Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse vs Vi vs Sublime

On 16 Mar 2016, at 10:33, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Rydahl Andersen" <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March, 2016 10:47:52 AM
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse vs Vi vs Sublime

On 16 Mar 2016, at 9:38, Mickael Istria wrote:

I think you'll be surprised how that simple thing keeps people going
back to emacs/vi because it is easily accessible.
I'm not surprised at all, and I('ll) keep using vim for this reason.
But is it really a challenge where Eclipse IDE can succeed?

vim and Emacs are popular on Linux, used widely because they are in
the PATH and accessible easily via yum, apt-get, you-name-it. So one
can type "vim file.txt" in a console and get immediately vim installed
and opening the "file.txt". What is it for Eclipse IDE?

Exactly the same is today supposed to work if you put eclipse into your
path.

You're missing the part that the OS will put it there for you when using vim/emacs on any distro. Will work for Eclipse on Fedora and most probably Mageia. For all other cases - user has to download, unzip/untar and put on the path himself.

This does not matter if it is not possible to put anything on the path to make it work.

i.e. on windows and OSX it seem to fail when using "eclipse xyz"

Does Oomph installer make it available in the path? Which Linux
distros package Eclipse IDE correctly enough to have a recent version of Eclipse installed on command-line invocation (only Fedora I'd say)?

This is something eclipse itself could do.

It could but this would be significant effort that require desktops that properly handle XDG, handling conflicts between multiple versions in the user home directory. Most probably shipping Eclipse as xdg-app is best although the sandboxing model might be a problem (to be determined when one tries it actually). I would dare to say this is significantly bigger effort than getting eclipse properly shipped by the bigger distros.

I expect the linux package tools to handle this, but for OSX and Windows it is possible to do from within Eclipse IMO.

For Windows users, they often get to Notepad++ because it's available on right-click (here again, it's an OS thing given by the installer).
Does Eclipse IDE populate that accessible menu?

Yes it does if you choose it as the app to use.

Again at the price of manually navigating to the eclipse executable, which proper package can create automatically. It's much like one saying - yeah, you can have whatever IDE you want just download eclipse platform and used p2 to install whatever you need - doable and not hard, but definitely not user friendly.

Again, could we please go back to make the discussion about actually doing the first step - make eclipse awesome at opening files IFF it is in the path/setup in your OS ?

Once we have that (we don't today without lots of bugs) we can work on get it integrated into the various OS's and at least for anything but Linux is what I call pretty trivial and something tons of apps does.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top