Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] EclipseCon 2016 AC/PC session

>  I welcome your input.

Be careful what you wish for. :) But thanks for asking.

I myself am not a fan of "panel discussion", in general, but especially this type where to topics are very high level and not much to "discuss". I have seen a few good panel discussions but only when there was something controversial to discuss such as "modularity in Java" or "Typed vs Un-Typed languages". I also recall the "PMC Panel Discussions" we used to have at EclipseCon closing session and it seemed like they were not very interesting. And, it seemed to me the audience was not that interested. Granted, it may have been due to the (lack of) presentation skills of the people sitting on stage ... but, I think you would have nearly the same people involved.

If anything "public" is done, a very short Q&A session might by ok, with a 10-20 minute "introduction" done by one person. But honestly I do not think the "community at large" is all that interested in the Planning Council, and the 10 people who would have opinions, that they would like to state in the form of a question, have probably already made themselves heard one way or another?

Or, I suppose you could make it controversial, and say the topic was "Let's do away with the Planning Council and Simultaneous Release: Pros and Cons" but that has the risk of being more confrontational than constructive and I would not want to be in the middle of that. Guess it depends who would sit on the "pro" and "con" side?

Finally, I do not like seeing "Orbit" mentioned as though its future was part of the Planning Council mission. It is not. Yes, the Planning Council sometimes worries over it -- but, only slightly more than a few other projects we worry over that are more clearly not in our mission. Orbit will either survive or die like any other OS project -- not that interesting of a future to discuss -- at least in an open meeting. :)

To be honest, I think the 10:30-12:35session will suffice for group discussion. Ant then maybe reserve the room for the afternoon time for "break out sessions" in case anyone wants to form into groups of 2 to 4 people to discuss something in more detail with the intent of outlining an action plan for improvement or change? This would have to be done, though, in the spirit of "doing the work", and not sure anyone at EclipseCon could commit to that? That is, would not like to see "pie in the sky" action plans.

I hope this note at least spurs more discussion of what is needed and what would be interesting.

Thanks again,