I think AERI could help in prioritizing issues. Concerning the severity, as brought up by Konstantin, it is of course correct, that the number of reports does not necessarily reflect the impact an issue has to our users. However I believe if an exception is with no or minor user impact it is simple enough to catch it and log it with a low log level. About the platform: I think the "tragedy of the commons" is a valid reason to focus there and I do not believe it will drive away existing committers and contributors to the platform.

Cheers,
Maximilian

On 24.11.2015 18:58, Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Not sure if I understood John right, but I had read the AERI triage & fix as specifically targeted for Platform,
which I do think suffers from the "tragedy of the commons" issue today so could certainly use some FEEP help.

I do agree with you that AERI should primarily be an incentive for projects to fix their quality and not wait for FEEP to fix it for them.
But if you look at Platform, the few heroes in there currently shoulder a heavy load for the benefit of all of us.
I like the idea making the FEEP for AERI proposal more measurable.

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

-----Original Message-----
From: eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gunnar Wagenknecht
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:47 PM
To: eclipse.org-architecture-council
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] FEEP Voting, Iteration #1 - Summary

John,

It sounds like we should scratch the "fund a developer" approach completely then and propose something along the lines for triaging & fixing AERI problems (ranked by number of problems reported)?

My only concern is with the message such a budget could imply. According to Marcel, there was a significant jump in reported problems with the last (service) release. If there is now a budget, some projects could conclude that they don't need to pay high attention to quality/testing because AERI will catch it and the Foundation will provide budget for fixing it later.

I would rather see the FEEP money being invested into things that will bring the IDE forward then cleaning up things which projects should pay attention to.

-Gunnar

--

Dr. Maximilian Koegel

Senior Software Architect / General Manager
EclipseSource Munich

Email: mkoegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://eclipsesource.com/munich
Mobil: +49 176 223 619 18
Phone: +49 89 21 555 30 - 10
Fax: +49 89 21 555 30 - 19
Skype: maximilian.koegel
Hangouts: mkoegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EclipseSource Muenchen GmbH
Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1
80992 Muenchen

General Managers: Dr. Jonas Helming, Dr. Maximilian Koegel
Registered Office: Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1, 80992 Muenchen,
Commercial Register Muenchen, HRB 191789

Back to the top