Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Encourage projects to use JDT null analysis & null annotations for Neon

On 14 Oct 2015, at 13:00, Daniel Megert wrote:

When I google for "eclipse null annotations" I get this at the top:
http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftask-using_null_annotations.htm

Great - not sure why I did not see that one.

But this implies you are using Eclipse only to build; and it is a rather technical walkthrough IMO.

users and most eclipse projects today are using Maven to build and are looking for more user based info in addition to deep technical walkthroughs.

i.e. talking about nullable extended types would not be the first thing I would show to help users grok what it does - type arguments would be a much simpler start.

Anyway, better than nothing ;)

Dani

From:   "Max Rydahl Andersen" <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     "eclipse.org-architecture-council"
<eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   14.10.2015 12:48
Subject: Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Encourage projects
to use JDT null analysis & null annotations for Neon
Sent by:        eclipse.org-architecture-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

could we start by having a link to wiki page describing how to actually
use it ?

googling shows
http://blog2.vorburger.ch/2014/07/java-8-null-type-annotations-in-eclipse.html

first.

Is that the best docs there is for now ?

/max

Greetings Architecture Council,

I spent some time on analyzing and visualizing user error reports.
One result of that analysis that strikes me most is that
NullPointerExceptions are the #1 root cause of all error reports.
It?s also ~4 times more popular than #2 on that list:
IllegalArgumentException (*).

I wonder whether the architecture council should encourage projects to
tackle these errors, e.g., by enforcing or requesting all projects to
use JDT?s null analysis and @Nullable/@NonNull annotations on every
public API. Is that something the AC can drive and promote?

As a second means, the EPP Committer package may enable JDT?s null
analysis by default to get that started.

It would also need a few popular projects to lead the way. I?m
thinking of Platform/Platform UI and JDT but? of course? it?s
additional work for them? But I hope this pays out for Eclipse as a
whole rather soon.
I can also imagine to ask all projects that participate in Neon to
work towards this goal.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Marcel

(*) Please visit [1] to confirm that observation (Note:
org.eclipse.epp.internal.logging.StandInException and
org.eclipse.recommenders.internal.StandInException are not counted.
[1]

https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/dashboard/#/dashboard/Problems

IMPORTANT: Membership in this list is generated by processes internal
to the Eclipse Foundation.  To be permanently removed from this list,
you must contact emo@xxxxxxxxxxx to request removal.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen