Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Eclipse Users, Contributors and Committer

Am 24.07.2015 um 15:46 schrieb Eike Stepper:

IMHO someone who opens a bug report helps the Eclipse project but
someone who contributes code helps much more.
I think this is the least an open source can expect from its *users*. I wouldn't call it a contribution.
Sorry, I just realized that my sentence is ambiguous. I wanted to refer to *reporting bugs*. I think it's an exaggeration to call that a contribution. I know that a really good bug report that includes a detailed analysis and a concise description of the expected and actual behaviours can easily consume more time than the actual fix of the problem. But in my 12 years at Eclipse I've seen at most a handful of thos reports. The vast majority is made with a minimum effort and many with even less. I'm still thankful for those, but I wouldn't call them a contributions.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de