Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Javascript: a bug that makes me really sad....

On 2015-07-08 17:39, Sven Efftinge wrote:

On 08 Jul 2015, at 17:30, Michael Scharf <eclipse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2015-07-07 8:11, Sven Efftinge wrote:>

> That might work if that work is super cheap, but that is usually not
> the case.

Running external parsers (actually having a parser service running,
that got notified when files are changing) worked 25 years ago quite
well, when workstations had single core processors running at 20Mhz.
Today each of the 8 or 16 cores is 100 times faster, why should this
suddenly be a problem ;-)….

If you still work with the same tools and the same amount of code, than that’s not a problem ;-)
Most of the time, you have to only parse the file that has changed.
In case of languages like C/C++ that use a preporcessor, you
have to parse all files that depend on the changed file. But
there have been tricks to make that efficient form the time
when computers were slow...

The real problem starts with the fact that each *DT maintains its own
index and there is no higher level structure that allows defining
dependencies between sub-parts of the system. In some way there has to
be a hierarchy of scopes that goes beyond a single language.

Xtext has that and so does IntelliJ.
That is great! That's why IntelliJ can propose _javascript_ in HTML
etc.

> IMHO it is a good idea having a dedicated plug-in that is
> tailored to leverage exactly that (like Max mentioned) rather than
> building a generic framework for possibly existing external tools.

Both approaches have their use cases....

In some way each *DT is a silo in eclipse. There is almost no code
sharing between them. There is not even a common index or a common way
to integrate external tools that provide information about file
locations that works with all *DTs. Xtext simplifies that process by
generating a good portion of that silo for each new language. But
it's still silos….

That’s simply not true. Xtext provides a generic infrastructure for many languages, to play nicely together.
YES! I was wrong! I have been creating a few Xtext languages that nicely work together. :-D
So, then all Xtext languages are a single silo ;-)

As I said before keys to that are a common notion of ASTs and an index.

Yes, you are right!

Michael

Sven