Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Javascript: a bug that makes me really sad....

[...]

> - Xtext https://eclipse.org/Xtext/ (which is extreme, because it
> generates a *DK for
>   each language)
> - DLTK https://www.eclipse.org/dltk/ or
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/tutorials/os-eclipse-octave/
> - LangEclipseIDE:
> https://github.com/bruno-medeiros/LangEclipseIDE/blob/master/README-LangEclipseIDE.md
>
> - LiCLipse http://www.liclipse.com/supported_languages.html
> - AntLng https://github.com/dschaefer/antlng
> - ... (I am sure that there 5-10 more attempts to solve the problem)

I've working on smart editors as part of our JavaFX Text-Editor
research. I showed our latest status at the Eclipse Demo camps.

I fully understand that you want something SWT based but most of the
stuff is not bound to JavaFX.

See
http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2015/07/08/eclipse-democamp-season-javafx-smart-code-editors-eg-for-google-dart/
for some slides and a video recording.

For the next e(fx)clipse release (2.1.0) we plan to make stuff even more
loosely coupled and maybe we come up with generic service interfaces to
get auto-complete, syntax highlighting (I currently only target lexical
highlighting), error-reporting and outline.

BTW: The Dart editor developed in the video does what you propose. It
simply connects to the dart-analysis-server to get informations for
auto-complete and errors.

We have something very similar for
* Java where we have auto-complete, error-reporting and outline and
* JavaScript where we currently only have outline support
  (provided through the Nashorn AST-"API"), attaching Tern is one
  option to get auto-complete but there might be others as well.

Very high on my personal list for languages to support are:
* Swift
* TypeScript
* Go
* Rust