Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] The "Eclipse Projects" Market

This is meant to augment the packages (either downloaded or installed via Oomph).

I don't think that the EPP packages disappear anytime soon. I think that it would be very cool if we ever get to a point where the installer lets you mix and match (e.g. build a custom package that includes Java, C/C++, and PHP tools), and Marketplace might reasonably play a role in that.

For now, though, this is intended to make it easier for a user to take--for example--the Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers and add Tools for Java Developers. I personally get a lot of questions about combining packages/functionality and in my experience, explaining to users how to use the p2 installer to add features is a painful multiples step process. Instead, I can just say "drag and drop this".

Plus, these solutions can include things that we really think that the user should have even if they don't know that they need it. e.g. Code Recommenders.

FWIW, I don't expect that the Java solution will get used very much as most of the packages already include Java.

Does this make sense.

Wayne