Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Re: Next Year's Release Train to require being "e4 ready"?

Exactly, that's why I'm hoping parallel builds should be feasible. As you say, without that, e4 would be a tough sell.

:D

The message is still "The Eclipse 4.0 SDK will run all API clean 3.x plug-ins.". To my mind, it wouldn't make sense to consider putting it on the release otherwise. So, the "e4 readiness" point is basically API-cleanliness + testing.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for David M Williams ---2009/12/15 22:28:22---Its great to see this advance, forward thinking.David M Williams ---2009/12/15 22:28:22---Its great to see this advance, forward thinking.

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-architecture-council" <eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

2009/12/15 22:28

[eclipse.org-architecture-council] Re: Next Year's Release Train to require being "e4 ready"?

Its great to see this advance, forward thinking.

We have discussed briefly at Planning Council meetings and so far the reaction of Projects has been "no plans to anything for e4" but, I'm sure, that's mostly because most of us simply need education on what it buys us and what we'd have to do to get it.

But most importantly, I would hope most of this would be a "bottoms up" requirement and implementation, where projects found reason to be on e4, and/or implement some advanced function that could only be done with e4. And if widespread, then we'd naturally want that commonality codified for the 2011 Simultaneous Release. Remember, "we are us" when it comes to the Planning Council and the requirements for Simultaneous Release ... we require very little that is not already fairly common.

But it is an excellent point we should all begin to educate ourselves on the implications, and work with our "home Projects" to understand how to take advantage of e4.

I'd urge care on the message, "e4 ready". One message I've heard is "e4 is completely compatible, projects need not do anything to run on e4". I don't know the latest, and don't know if that will always be true, but, we don't want to mistakenly give the wrong impression to the community that "... it will take some work to get ready for e4" (unless that is the current message). And I think a message like "2011 release will be based on e4" raises the question in Projects of a.) what will that take, and b.) what do we get for it. I'm not sure those can be answered before EclipseCon, but would be good to start the discussion, so I will put it on Planning Council agenda.

And, yes, I think a 2 hour joint session on Sunday is a good idea.

Thanks again,