Re: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] Reminder: AC meeting jul 9

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

> in spite of the holiday season we'll meet this Thursday jul 9 -

Sorry I won't be able to make it.  I'm at the Gran Canaria Desktop
Summit:

http://www.grancanariadesktopsummit.org

I gave a talk about Eclipse today (focusing on CDT, Mylyn, Linux Tools)
and people were very impressed.  All I usually hear is "it's too
bloated/slow", "isn't that just for Java?", "I don't use stuff written
in Java", "it's too slow" so it was nice to hear some positive feedback.

I'll write some blog entries with my thoughts and follow-up.

I'm looking forward to it Andrew!

The whole Java too slow thing is pretty old now (!@#$, might as well start writing Mono apps). I don't get the Linux community sometimes ;)

For those who are curious about Eclipse and Linux distributions... I'd take a gander at this Ubuntu bug:

Cheers,

--

Andrew, I'm way jeolous, BTW ;).

I imagine the Linux Desktop crowd is infiltrated by ex-Windows developers by now, and the Eclipse solution we have for them is very appealing, especially the mix you are presenting them: CDT, Mylin, analysis tools for Linux. It's probably a better IDE than VisualStudio at this stage, especially in combination with the great gcc toolchain and GTK/Qt run-time libraries. We even have the Native Application Builder (NAB) which could be used for GUI building and we'd be done. Relative to VisualStudio, Eclipse performance is comparable and, yes, the Java JITs are working well.

But there still is a huge part of the CDT community (or potential community) which aren't as thrilled with Eclipse. When competing against incumbant "command-line" tools that are built to work directly with files in the file system and can be started up quickly, Eclipse doesn't come out looking so hot. I'm not sure what can be done about that if anything, but it is something we're fighting. Maybe we'll get infultrated by ex-Windows developers too and the problem will solve itself. ;).

Back to the top