RE: [eclipse.org-architecture-council] What's the process fornominating a new member?

Hi Brian,

this is in fact in interesting question. Though I'd think I'd rephrase the question:
   "What are expected qualifications for a proposed appointed AC member?"

Since I don't think the process is unclear (just go ahead and propose somebody
on the mailing list), but it's unclear whether the candidate you have in mind would
meet some criteria which we perhaps feel instinctively but haven't anywhere
written down.

I'll try to start a discussion with what I feel, and I think that once we reach some
consensus this should be documented on the Wiki:
As I'm writing this down, I acutally notice some similarity to the new committer election process: people can help / contribute to the AC work by bugzilla comments, blogs, etc even if they are not members of the AC. Dave Carver, for instance, has been contributing a lot. After some contributions they can be voted in. Ideally, not only appointed members should meet these criteria, but also those representing a PMC or strategic member (though we cannot influence this, so officially the criteria should only apply for appointed members).

Once somebody can think of a proper candidate, we might first have an informal unrecorded poll [1] what others think, in order to protect people's privacy. Next, I think it's good to ask that candidate whether she would be willing to join the AC -- it should mean some time commitment, so joining the AC or not is not a natural no-brainer and might require candidates to check with their employers for acceptance. Candidates may feel honored to get asked even if they are not finally appointed for whatever reason, so asking them first seems right. Once that is clear, the candidate can be proposed on the mailing list, we collect comments or votes and then recommend her to Mike for appointment.

Does that make sense? What do others think?

[1] Bjorn on not always being too open,
     http://eclipse-projects.blogspot.com/2008/10/goldilocks-and-three-bears-of-openness.html

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm