[eclipse.org-architecture-council] Draft for E-Mail to Eclipse-committers

Hi all,

here is the draft E-Mail which I proposed sending to Eclipse.org-committers,
announcing our new bugzilla CC abilities. Feedback is welcome, and I
intend finalizing the draft in our meeting tomorrow.

Subject: Announcing the EAC bug component

The Eclipse Architecture Council (EAC) is opening its communication
channels for discussions and questions:

As you may be aware, the EAC is staffed by appointed members
representing the most senior committers in the entire community,
as well as representatives from each PMC and strategic member.
You can now leverage this combined wisdom in the following ways:
  1. File a bug against the Eclipse Foundation / Community /
    Architecture Council component. All EAC members will
    get notified and answer the bug as appropriate.
  2. Put the eclipse.org-architecture-council@xxxxxxxxxxx
    E-Mail address on CC of an existing bug. All EAC
    members will get notified and comment on your bug
    as appropriate.
Q: What should be the scope of discussions initiated with the EAC?

A: Think of it as a means of "escalation". Any question that you'd
like a mentor's advice on can be brought to the EAC's attention.
Including questions like "How do other projects..."  - it doesn't even
need to be limited to technical questions, in our opinion "architecture"
includes organizational issues just as much. We especially appreciate
questions, ideas or suggestions that might be interesting on a broader
scope. See this bugzilla query for existing discussions.

In many cases the EAC may not answer your question directly, but
point you in the right direction; your bug's log will keep the history
of the discussion.

Q: How does this relate to the existing cross-project-issues-dev mailing list and bugzilla component?

A: We consider the cross-project-isses component as a tool for
day-to-day work coordinating between projects, especially those
that are on the release train (Galileo). The EAC bugs can be more
fundamental, broader in scope, or with a longer time horizon.

Q: Is this going to scale?

A: We'll see, it is an experiment for now but we're very much looking
forward to getting involved in the questions, ideas or suggestions that
you may have.

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top