Re: [eclipse-pmc] [eclipse-ide-wg] Fwd: [cross-project-issues-dev] IMHO serious issues in the Eclipse Java IDE 2021-06 M3

> On Jun 2, 2021, at 11:18, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> About Orbit or not, I fail at seeing what would that change: if slf4j 2.0 -which is a requirement- were in Orbit, how would that have prevented this issue in m2e from happening?

You need to look beyond the technical issue at hand.

The use of Orbit typically serves the community at large by:
1. sharing work that you have already done
2. raising visibility/awareness of upcoming changes
3. improving quality through collaboration

There is a dedicated set logging related bundles in Orbit:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/orbit/orbit-recipes.git/tree/logging

It does provide customized metadata for some bundles, which have been evolved over time through collaboration to avoid potentially issues and improve the quality. Updating those bundles/providing new versions typically happens through collaboration.

By doing everything in your own you are missing an opportunity for collaboration, avoiding mistakes and benefiting from the experience from others.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/