Re: [eclipse-pmc] New Top Level Project Charter

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 4:35 PM Wayne Beaton <wayne.beaton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All project names are claimed as trademarks of the Eclipse Foundation with the potential for us to seek registration. This is always a requirement.
[...]
We can parse language all we want, but a project named "Eclipse SDK" is effectively a project named "Eclipse" ("Which SDK is it? Why, it's the Eclipse SDK") .and this is a violation of the trademark guidelines.

What about Eclipse Tools and Eclipse Technology projects then? Trademark? Which tool?...
If the final goal is to change the public facing name of what people call Eclipse IDE, then bugging the Eclipse TLP to do that is the wrong lever. The visible name "Eclipse IDE" is defined and used in the Technology.EPP project and is not under the influence of the Eclipse TLP.
The TLP are mostly technical and internal names in the community when it comes to shipping the IDE, no end-users cares about it. I don't think enforcing "rebranding" of the TLP is bringing anything but low added-value work for EMO and noise/no added-value disturbance for contributors.

Back to the top