Re: [eclipse-pmc] Photon (4.8) Release Review Material

ing

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 8:13 PM, Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sure, but if we haven't got any idea how we could get past the state where we might be leaving people's installs "requiring further extensive and non-obvious configuration changes", it seems like maybe we should have held off on the feature.

The rationale behind this feature is that the current state of art used by many many users (and documented as answers on various forums like StackOverflow) leads to much much worse state. Users simply delete the nature from their .project files, and that doesn't trigger any kind of specific action in the IDE. At least, by providing a UI entry-point, we know that the right APIs are invoked, that the possible listeners are notified and so on. So there is at least an entry-point to make things better and to either take advantage of the ability to easily add/remove good features without issue, at the risk of sometimes seeing some incomplete installation/uninstallation (which are actually bugs in the nature).
So at some point, I think by holding off features until the world gets perfect, we simply end up by not doing anything and not leading adopters to provide better code and UX to their users.
--
Mickael Istria