Re: [eclipse-pmc] Photon (4.8) Release Review Material

Hi,

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 6:29 PM, Mike Wilson <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the N&N, where it talks about modifying project natures it says "some natures may not properly handle manual addition/removal, so using this can lead to some inconsistencies in those cases". For my own edification, what is the plan for getting those cases fixed? (I'm thinking of, for example, what Apple does when you start a 32-bit app now, where it says "the developer need to update this application...", or something like that).

The issue that would make it hard to work like your is that there is no generic check we can add to know if removal of a nature has been complete or not (as opposed to checking an app is 32 bits).
Any nature provider who respects the Javadoc shouldn't have an issue, as it's expected that install() and uninstall() are properly implemented in a symmetric way; but this comment was placed mostly because on all implementations of natures, it's very likely than one nature doesn't properly implement both methods. But unfortunately, the content of those methods is business-specific and there is no generic expectation or check we I can think of to validate things are implemented properly.
So if there is a bug, it would still be the responsibility of user/tester to detect and report it.

If anyone has a hint about whether some generic checks are possible, please open feature requests and mark em as CC, I'd be really interested in implementing some good proposals.

If you think this part of the documentation would better be removed or have a proposal of a better phrasing, I wouldn't have any objection to see this amended.

HTH

Back to the top