Re: [eclipse-pmc] Incubating Java Language Features

Dear PMC

If interested, please follow the already ongoing discussion on jdt-dev and respond there only to reduce traffic.

Dani

From:        Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        jdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc:        eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        30.01.2018 12:12
Subject:        [eclipse-pmc] Incubating Java Language Features
Sent by:        eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

All,
Just in case you've missed it, I would like to draw your attention to a recent proposal on the jdk-dev list entitled "Incubating Language and VM Features". The conversation on the mailing list starts here. At its core, I *think* this means that staying abreast of new language features will require engaging with OpenJDK rather than JSRs hosted at the JCP.
Important quote:
The Umbrella JSR for the Java SE $N Platform enumerates the incubating language and VM features in the platform. The desire for feedback and the expectation of quality means that these features are not "optional"; they must all be supported in full by every implementation of the Umbrella JSR. They are specified in appendices of the Java SE $N Editions of the Java Language Specification (JLS) and the Java Virtual Machine Specification (JVMS). The Java Compatibility Kit for Java SE $N checks conformance of an implementation's incubating features to the appropriate appendix.
If you have any thoughts or concerns about how this may impact ecj or JDT in general, please comment on the jdk-dev mailing list. If there is anything I or the EMO can assist with, please let me know.
Thanks.
--
Mike Milinkovich

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx