Re: [eclipse-pmc] Renaming `Eclipse` top-level project into`Eclipse SDK`?

This comes up in conversation every few years. Usually, the outcome is that we realize that the value of changing this isn't worth the confusion/cost. Really, for every person who is confused, there are thousands (millions?) who already know where to go to get the SDK. Think even of all the places where there are external links based on the current name, for example.

I can't say I'm completely against the idea, but someone would need to come up with a comprehensive plan for the transition and then convince me it was workable first.

McQ.

Inactive hide details for Lars Vogel ---2017/11/27 12:01:46---+0 (I do not have a strong opinion on that) On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 Lars Vogel ---2017/11/27 12:01:46---+0 (I do not have a strong opinion on that) On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria

From: Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 2017/11/27 12:01
Subject: Re: [eclipse-pmc] Renaming `Eclipse` top-level project into `Eclipse SDK`?
Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As most of you are probably aware, our Eclipse community is now much more
> than the Eclipse Platform, SDK, IDE... and the legacy around Eclipse SDK/IDE
> makes that the Eclipse term is often not properly used nor understood by
> some people in the target ecosystem. It typically implies for too many
> people that Eclipse Community and Foundation are only about the Eclipse
> Platform and IDE, which is wrong and unfair.
>
> To clarify that, EMO (and I imagine some other projects) would like to avoid
> the "Eclipse" top-level project to be about Platform and SDK. They'd
> basically want the Eclipse Community and Foundation to not have one single
> "Eclipse" top-level project and to have the Eclipse project be called
> Eclipse Something to streamline it with the current practices for all other
> top-level projects.
>
> As committer representative, I do understand and support the wish to clarify
> that. I think it would be more fair with other Eclipse projects, and on
> mid-term, it would simplify several things related to branding and other
> stuff, both for the Eclipse Platform, SDK, IDE and all other Eclipse-related
> projects and initiatives.
> As Platform contributors, I think it's fine as long as it doesn't change
> anything technically speaking: the renaming shouldn't change the Git
> repository URLs, Bugzilla components nor anything like that. I hope that if
> Eclipse PMC escalates the request to EMO, EMO would understand the need for
> "technical" stability during this rename and wouldn't object to keep the
> current "endpoints" and let the project adopt some newer ones if it wants
> to, when it wants to.
>
> We already discussed it with Dani and Alex at EclipseCon Europe, and the
> good proposal for a rename that came out of this nice chat is that it would
> be good to rename the "Eclipse" TLP into "Eclipse SDK" TLP, without changing
> anything else than the label and projects description basically.
>
> What do the PMC think about that? Any concern? Is it something that could be
> done soon-ish?
> I've CC'ed the main EMO stakeholders I guessed on this topic if you have
> some more logistical questions.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mickael Istria
> Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community
> Elected Committer Representative at the Eclipse Foundation board of
> directors

> this list, visit

Eclipse Platform project co-lead
CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352
Fax (040) 5247 6322, Email: lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx, Web:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.vogella.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=_wIUljAJCs0TNguPJokfIu7BolLXG8H-Me7DQihCrZ0&m=7vbP-TQleEf71rNrtKvc64VYtZrP6oGDbHjJQQJ8CZk&s=tx0VrDA6nU7AVeUnC6IWdtJq8mYvWKj7DoQseg08-so&e=