[eclipse-pmc] Renaming `Eclipse` top-level project into `Eclipse SDK`?

Hi all,

As most of you are probably aware, our Eclipse community is now much more than the Eclipse Platform, SDK, IDE... and the legacy around Eclipse SDK/IDE makes that the Eclipse term is often not properly used nor understood by some people in the target ecosystem. It typically implies for too many people that Eclipse Community and Foundation are only about the Eclipse Platform and IDE, which is wrong and unfair.

To clarify that, EMO (and I imagine some other projects) would like to avoid the "Eclipse" top-level project to be about Platform and SDK. They'd basically want the Eclipse Community and Foundation to not have one single "Eclipse" top-level project and to have the Eclipse project be called Eclipse Something to streamline it with the current practices for all other top-level projects.

As committer representative, I do understand and support the wish to clarify that. I think it would be more fair with other Eclipse projects, and on mid-term, it would simplify several things related to branding and other stuff, both for the Eclipse Platform, SDK, IDE and all other Eclipse-related projects and initiatives.
As Platform contributors, I think it's fine as long as it doesn't change anything technically speaking: the renaming shouldn't change the Git repository URLs, Bugzilla components nor anything like that. I hope that if Eclipse PMC escalates the request to EMO, EMO would understand the need for "technical" stability during this rename and wouldn't object to keep the current "endpoints" and let the project adopt some newer ones if it wants to, when it wants to.

We already discussed it with Dani and Alex at EclipseCon Europe, and the good proposal for a rename that came out of this nice chat is that it would be good to rename the "Eclipse" TLP into "Eclipse SDK" TLP, without changing anything else than the label and projects description basically.

What do the PMC think about that? Any concern? Is it something that could be done soon-ish?
I've CC'ed the main EMO stakeholders I guessed on this topic if you have some more logistical questions.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community

Back to the top