Re: [eclipse-pmc] RedDeer sample

Hi Martin, hi all,

On 02/21/2017 04:28 PM, Oberhuber, Martin wrote:
Since I’ve been playing with RCPTT lately, I’ve converted the test to an RCPTT one for comparison:
https://github.com/moberhuber/eclipse.platform.rcptt-tests
We can discuss pros and cons of the approaches in the meeting today.
I've often been ask the similar question of comparing SWTBot (which is also a Java API like RedDeer) and RCPTT. Here are the main things to consider when choosing between one and/or the others.

The main difference is that since RCPTT is a Test DSL, it introduces more complexity to develop and run than plain Java tests (using RedDeer, SWTBot or whatever API) which have been perfectly integrated in Eclipse IDE and Platform builds for a while. RCPTT enforces usage of a dedicated editor, language, launcher and so on. I don't think it's the typical things Platform contributors like, since Platform contributors are usually skilled Java developers who would take more advantage of Java APIs over a new language. RCPTT is also AFAIK not fully integrated with most quality-oriented Java technologies such as Jacoco, SonarQube or FindBugs. For those reasons, I don't think RCPTT should be come a recommandation for writing Platform tests.
That said, RCPTT can coexist with Java tests, and some people who feel more like testers than Java developers do prefer RCPTT to Java tests. So it would be nice to welcome contributions of RCPTT tests in Platform if some people happen to contribute some. and to be ready to run those RCPTT tests in the automated builds with the same care as existing JUnit tests.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top