Re: [eclipse-pmc] Request to backport performance improvement for Text Search

Hi Mickael

The change looks unrelated to what you are asking.

Dani

From:        Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        16.08.2016 16:22
Subject:        [eclipse-pmc] Request to backport performance improvement for Text        Search
Sent by:        eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I'd like to request PMC approval to backport change https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/75921/to 4.6.1. In the case of complex modular projects (typically Maven ones) it results in a sensible performance gain when doing a text search (move from 14s to 10s on my example).
The change is not trivial, the text search is a critical feature and the existing tests are not really strong since they don't cover the text search very well. Sergey already helped in reviewing it and the change got part of 4.7.M1. I also successfully ran a bunch of manual tests on big projects to check that this change didn't impact the search result and actually resulted in a worthy performance gain. So despite the risk of including such a change, I believe the various reviews and manual tests validate this change.

Is PMC fine with shipping this performance improvement as part of 4.6.1 ?

Cheers,

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at