Re: [eclipse-pmc] Eclipse deliverable - food for thoughts

On 17 Jun 2015, at 16:48, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:

The official entry point is https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/SandboxedApps . But if you want to try it out please read https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2015/06/17/testing-rawhide-apps-using-xdg-app/ . How does shipping/generating xdg-app sounds in terms of the Eclipse IDE?

It sounded interesting until it states the app will have limited host processes, network and filesystem access.

Won't that make the IDE of very little use if I can't easily use my existing projects, debug my java vm's nor access the network ?

And beyond that what does this feature provide Eclipse ? will it be easier to install ? run on more distributions without having different SWT bugs dependent on the host OS or ?

/max

Let's discuss either here or on the call for anything that comes to your mind.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse team