[eclipse-pmc] Building on Windows

All,

I stumbled across the minutes below from a recent PMC meeting. I've highlighted a line of particular interest.

FWIW, I think that rules are made to be broken when they are obviously counter-productive. If it makes sense for Eclipse to build its Windows binaries using MSVS, then by all means let's figure out a way to make that happen. Causing a whole pile of work for people to workaround a rule just seems like a waste of effort. If there are compelling reasons to port the build to use a cross-compiler, that's fine. But if you're only doing it to resolve this constraint, then let's talk about it.

February 18, 2015 - Dani, Alex, Martin

  • Alex: Building Native Launchers
    • Current way of building is kinda unpredictable - even if getting some agreement on versions to use, results are kinda unpredictable
    • Pushing towards Hudson RHEL builders at least at the EF to get more transparency and automation - attempt to mimic the infrastructure at IBM
    • Looking at 3 primary architectures (at the EF) for Linux vs. secondary architectures (non-public builders potentially)
  • Dani: Great initiative, but other (non-EF) builders must not be broken
    • EF doesn't allow any commercial tools (but currently, e.g. Windows launchers are built with MSVS)
  • Alex is willing to spend time to get Linux builds running; but can't help with other architectures
    • Martin: great approach - for Windows, using a cross-compiler on Linux might be interesting (after Linux native works)
  • Alex: This is just phase one - getting rid of the binaries in git repos might be phase 2 (since the checked-in binaries easily cause inconsistencies between Java and Native side)
    • Martin: Checked-in binaries help consumers and contributors who just want to make a Java change
    • Dani: Checked-in binaries are also used for comparing build results for expected vs accidental changes

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top