From:        "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx" <eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "daniel.rolka@xxxxxxxxx" <daniel.rolka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:        09.11.2014 03:04
Subject:        Re: [eclipse-pmc] New API for 4.4.2 - approval request
Sent by:        eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Daniel,

I have only looked at the changeset that was intended to be backported, and I have some questions:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.ui.git/commit/?id=d4d1f4d1956065df4b8b70aa22142e7d18408164

1.       Why is a backport necessary in the first place ? – On a cursory review this looks like only a performance optimization to me, at least the bug doesn’t clearly say what is the end user’s visible effect of the problem and why the backport is necessary. Or have I overlooked the problem description ?

2.       In the changeset, the new API constant ACTIVE is used only for reading state, but it looks like that state is never written. How is that supposed to work ?

3.       The new API constant is only a String. If the result of question #1 above is that a backport is necessary, why does the new API have to be exposed ? Why can’t the internal code which uses this String just use the String constant “active” instead ?

Thanks,
Martin
--
Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6