Re: [eclipse-pmc] Java 7 on Mac OS X

On Mar 20, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

> 1) We have never bundled a VM with any Eclipse deliverable before. Why would we start now?
>
> Because Apple is changing the rules :)
>
> Are you saying there is no other way to build Java applications on the Mac now?
>
> That is correct. All Java applications distributed via the Mac Store and the iOS AppSore will have to bundle a JRE.

This is true only if you want to distribute a Java application in the Mac or iOS App Store. Developers can still distribute applications outside of the app store that rely on an installed JDK.

The immediate issue for Eclipse, though, is that the means by which it finds the JDK right now will not work with Oracle's JDK 7, and it will also need the ability to find a bundled JRE. We need to make some changes to support it. This will be true for RCP-based apps and Eclipse itself.

This is why I filed two bugs. We want Eclipse to work with JDK 7, and also have the ability to bundle a JRE so RCP apps can be distributed via the app store. Those are two separate tasks.

I should clarify this in the bugs, as it sounds like there's some confusion.

> 3) Will sandboxing be a requirement for all apps or just for those delivered through the app store?
>
> Just those delivered via the Mac Store. So far.

Right. There are a lot of unknowns right now around sandboxing and how it will affect Eclipse.

A related, but completely separate thing is supporting Gatekeeper on 10.8. That involves signing the binary with an Apple-provided certificate, which will allow Eclipse to be run without the user having to grant any additional permission.

-- Scott K.

Back to the top