RE: [eclipse-pmc] CVS write access for pmc members

I agree with Walter and others. Being a PMC member should not grant you complete access to the repository.

Tom

Inactive hide details for "Walter Harley" ---01/14/2009 11:18:15 AM---Hi Martin,"Walter Harley" ---01/14/2009 11:18:15 AM---Hi Martin,

"Walter Harley" <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

01/14/2009 11:18 AM

RE: [eclipse-pmc] CVS write access for pmc members

Hi Martin,

I am not on the PMC but would like to voice an opinion anyway: I think that being on the PMC confers authority and implies good judgement, but it clearly does not imply domain knowledge about every subproject. And I think that to the extent possible, we should restrict commit access to those people who do have domain knowledge.

For instance, the only situation I can imagine where a PMC member (who was not a JDT committer already) would need to commit to the JDT APT project is if I (the lead) and all other committers to the project are unreachable and some change needs to be reverted. That seems sufficiently unlikely that it can be handled if or when it comes up.

Is there a situation I'm not aware of? I don't have a specific concern about giving access, I'm just trying to keep master keys from floating around unnecessarily.

Thanks,
-walter