Re: [eclipse-pmc] API Deprecation Policy

Sure. How about ?

The cost for migrating an Eclipse-based product to the next release is often far from negligeable and for a range of reasons (including API compatibility, use of other bundle internals, becoming obsoleted by feature additions, ...). We should construct the list of pain points, and start thinking on how these could be eased, baring in mind that ultimately, moving to a service release should be a no brainer.

From: "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Mike Wilson" <Mike_Wilson@xxxxxxxxxx>, Philippe P Mulet/France/IBM@IBMFR
Cc: eclipse-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 01/07/2009 10:13 PM
Subject: [eclipse-pmc] API Deprecation Policy
Sent by: eclipse-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Mike, Philippe et al,

regarding the API Deprecation discussion at the AC: I'm planning to send out a short reminder E-Mail to the AC some time tomorrow. As part of that E-Mail, I could simply mention that the Deprecation discussion is scheduled for the meeting. If you guys could come up with a few brain teasers for that discussion (just 2 or 3 sentences), that might help sparking off a nice discussion. What do you think?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm