[eclipse-pmc] API request: Replace ColumnAdapters with ColumnLayouts

API REQUEST

Delete the experimental deprecated class Table Adapter and replace it's
functionality with the SWT based layout AbstractColumnLayout

Background: We required a class that could keep the relative sizes of columns
constant during a resize so as to avoid the user resizing all of the columns of
a table. In M4 we implemented the TableAdapter which was a subclass of
ControlAdapter to handle this. This turned out to cause a lot of flash so we
deprecated it in M5 in order to come up with a Layout based solution.

Add:
TableColumnLayout - layout class for tables
TreeColumnLayout - layout class for trees

Remove: (all were added in 3.3, deprecated in M5 and experimental)
AbstractColumnAdapter
TreeColumnAdapter
TableColumnAdpter

RISKS:
Teams reliant on the old API will have to port. JDT Text is the only known
consumer,

RISKS OF NOT TAKING THIS CHANGE
The ColumnAdapters are too flashy to be useful. This is a common use case that
will be used within the SDK.

Back to the top