Re: [eclipse-mirrors] ftp.acc.umu.se never chosen by eclipse.org download site

Hello!

First -- thank you for being a mirror server with plenty of bandwidth!

Our mirrors lists are chosen based on approximate geographical proximity
and what we perceive (from Canada) is the most reliable.

Your mirror scored 143 correct / 162 samples. By way of example, UK
Mirror Service scored 161 / 162.

Our most recent error was:
2017-03-26 04:16:23 Error 999 Response size: 1
http://saimei.acc.umu.se/mirror/eclipse.org/tm/downloads/drops/R-3.3.2-201202061000/RSE-runtime-3.3.2.zip

As for redirects: We have a list of mirrors in a database to construct
our mirror pages and download pages. I've therefore updated the URL in
our database.

Thank you for contacting us!  We hope to drive as much traffic to your
mirror as we can. In the interim, I'll verify our geoip lookup tables to
make sure they are accurate and up-to-date.

Many thanks to you, and to all our mirror operators worldwide!

Denis

On 03/27/2017 01:03 PM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> While verifying that things works OK with the new ftp.acc.umu.se 20 Gbps
> bandwidth we noticed that we have very few eclipse downloads.
>
> I tried reloading
> https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/epp/neon/R2a/eclipse-inst-linux64.tar.gz
> numerous times but it never picked ftp.acc.umu.se, which should be
> closest since I'm browsing from a university computer.
>
> We find this odd.
>
> To further add insult to injury it seems that the eclipse.org download
> system has permanently cached the temporary redirects used by our master
> server to offload traffic to our offload servers, presenting those
> cached URL:s to clients. This is VERY BAD since it means that some
> eclipse.org downloads will stop working if we take an offload server out
> of service for some reason.
>
> https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/epp/neon/R2a/eclipse-inst-linux64.tar.gz&format=xml
> is a typical example, it shows the link to ftp.acc.umu.se as:
>
> http://saimei.acc.umu.se/mirror/eclipse.org/oomph/epp/neon/R2a/eclipse-inst-linux64.tar.gz
>

> The correct link should be http://ftp.acc.umu.se/...
>
> Offload is done using temporary redirects (which should NEVER be cached)
> to suitable available offload targets (one or many depending on load).
>
> Please correct the behavior and don't cache the results from temporary
> redirects.
>
> /Nikke

Back to the top