Re: [eclipse-mirrors] permission denied in directories causes removal on mirrors

On 10/13/2009 07:04 PM, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
rsync: opendir "/modeling/m2t/xpand/downloads/drops/0.8.0/N200910111926" (in eclipseMirror) failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: opendir "/modeling/tmf/xtext/downloads/drops/0.8.0/N200910111939" (in eclipseMirror) failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: opendir "/technology/linuxtools" (in eclipseMirror) failed: Permission denied (13)

These mistakes caused some 200,000 files to be removed here... *sigh*

This isn't the first time. The problem is that now it happened on a
big directory
Carlos, you seem quite upset about this, and I'd like to understand why. I've been at Eclipse.org for five years, and this problem has existed since... yet you're the first one to be passionately vocal about it.

At this point, I'd like to make the world a perfect place, but I hardly see how it's worth it when you (our beloved mirror maintainer) can just send Eclipse-related rsync errors to /dev/null. I realize this is not ideal, and that we (Eclipse.org) will not have mirrors for those 'broken' files, but since no one on the planet can download them anyway, the onus of fixing the permissions will quickly return to the project team who messed up the permissions in the first place... So to reiterate, I'm just not understanding that the big deal is.

For what it's worth, a build directory that starts with N is likely a Nightly build, so if it doesn't appear on mirror sites, that's a bonus -- it saves your valuable disk space.

Thanks,

Denis

Back to the top