Re: [eclipse-mirrors] Question on security

Hi,

If you're using RSYNC, you practically don't need to -- rsync checksums its transfers, and checksums the received files (or deltas) with the sender when the file is known to be complete and intact. This is probably the main reason why rsync is relatively 'slow' or a memory hog on large trees.

  http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/how-rsync-works.html

Most projects do provide MD5 sums for their files, so you could possibley write a script that walks your directory structure in search of .md5 files and running md5sum.

Good luck,

D.

Carin Ohlsson wrote:

Hi,
I'm investigating the possiblity of setting up an internal mirror site for a larger organisation. The organization have some security concerns which I need to address. We need to be sure that we download from the correct host (for example by PGP signing) and be assured the files are not tampered with on the way (for example MD5 checksum). Is it possible to use PGP signing and MD5 when mirroring with rsync from Eclipse.org?
Best regards,
Carin Ohlsson