[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] Fw: Declarative UI roundup?

Thanks all who responded to my previous note.  As we did for the styling roundup, it'd be great if people could fill in a bit of information about a proposed technology as prep for us all for a call.

At your earliest convenience, please take a moment to fill in an entry in the following table: http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/DeclarativeUI/Declarative_Construction_Roundup

You'll notice a striking resemblance to the styling one we did, about midway down http://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/DeclarativeUI/Styling_Roundup.

The idea here is that providing the information shouldn't be laborious on the part of the presenter, but enough for everyone to get started investigating.  We'll then have a bakeoff call, post slides and notes back to the wiki.

We should aim to have the call in a few weeks.

Best Regards,
Kevin

----- Forwarded by Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM on 11/04/2008 06:16 PM -----
Kevin McGuire/Ottawa/IBM

10/14/2008 05:49 PM

"E4 developer list"
cc
Subject
Declarative UI roundup?

Hi gang,

As you may recall, in August we had a Styling roundup to look at the different available skinning technologies.  While organizing it, we discussed also wanting to do one for declarative UIs.

There was a lot of interest at the time, and there's been lots of discussion on this list lately about different declarative UI technologies/approaches.  I think the Styling one went well so I was wondering if folks wanted to do one for declarative UIs?  Seehttp://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/DeclarativeUI/Styling_Roundup for an idea.

This would involve some people volunteering to do a short presentation on a particular technology, either their own (e.g. XSWT) or one they are familiar with (e.g. XUL).  There'd be some prep in putting a small amount of information on the e4 wiki, then a call with presentations.  The idea is to have some decent content to discuss but not create a big presentation job for folks, so the emphasis would be on short presentations (and also out of the interest of keeping the call to say 1.5 hours which will be a challenge I think).

The goals of the call would include but not be limited to:

1) All getting on the "same page" with respect to the different technology choices available to us.
2) Open discussion of pros/cons of different approaches.
3) What problems we believe it will solve in the e4 context.
4) Hopefully come away with a small number of "most promising" technologies which the community could focus on in e4.

Any interest?  Note that this is community driven content, so "yes" would mean "yes I'll sign up to provide some content".

Regards,
Kevin

Back to the top