[eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] e4 project has been provisioned (PLEASE READ)

Yay!

It took a while, but I am really happy that the e4 project has been provisioned today. The new project appears in Bugzilla, CVS, as a web page, and we have a new mailing list.

Bugzilla and web page are easy, we can just start using (or writing pages for) those.

For the mailing list, I need your help, and for CVS, your feedback.

MAILING LIST:
The Eclipse Foundation will *not* copy the current mailing list subscribers to the new mailing list, so please subscribe to the new list now. I would propose that we switch over to the new list soon, but not immediately, so that everyone has had a chance to subscribe to the new one before we start using it. Time for the switch TBD, I would suggest in one week. Thoughts?

CVS:
The e4 project has one directory in CVS: /cvsroot/eclipse/e4
I have created subdirectories as follows:

org.eclipse.e4.resources
bundles
doc
examples
tests
org.eclipse.e4.resources.releng
maps
org.eclipse.e4.ui
bundles
doc
examples
tests
org.eclipse.e4.ui.releng
maps

The releng projects should contain build-related information such as map files and property files for the builder, and could contain .psf files. For the work area directories, I used fully qualified names so that they end up adjacent to the releng projects. The actual plugins will go into the bundles/doc/examples/tests subdirectories. We are following a common pattern here (and I went with "bundles" and not "plugins" because that makes bundles appear first).

Does this make sense? Please don't start using CVS right away until I've heard +1s or -1s, otherwise it'll be hard to change the current structure. For the UI pieces, I think we won't be able to move code this week anyway.

Also, it seems to me that we'll want more work areas from the start, "core" for shared non-UI things, "swt" for the SWT work, and "jdt" for the Java-ActionScript cross-compiler. I can create directories for those too once we have agreement on the directory structure. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Boris

Back to the top