Re: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] Resource Folder filters

James Blackburn wrote:
So I've played with this feature and it's cool :)!  However what I was
asking for is this _without_ the overhead of large .project file.
i.e. it would be good if users could create a completely virtual tree
of IResources with little overhead if the virtual tree happens to
match the underlying EFS tree.  If they delete resources from a
subtree this could result in an automatic exclusion being created.
I think I was trying to make a slightly orthogonal point on how and
where the linked resources and exclusion lists should be persisted.  I
think a good feature would be for a higher level
"create_virtual_tree_rooted_at="{loc}"" type of markup rather than
having thousands of links in the .project file.

I can imagine that linked resources could be optimized in terms of storage format, since right now the .project file only contains a flat list of all the linked resources, although I see it as a XML file size optimization only, since at runtime, that storage would need to be expanded in the resource tree with real linked resources, which is the real performance bottleneck from what I can see.

Also, compacting the list of linked resource is problematic, since it looses the main characteristic of linked resources, which they need to be explicitly inclusive. For example, if the storage format tries to compact the information according to whether all files within a directory foo are included as linked resource, next time the project is open, and there's a new file in that directory, it would be picked up automatically, which is not what the user wants if he's using linked resources, he'd better use a single folder linked resource instead with filters. In your example, the virtual tree really work like a single linked resource folder which may have filters on it, isn't it?

Does that make sense or I'm missing something?

Cheers,

James