RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources] Lazy Resources

Hi Doug,

>> So I'm opposed to suggestions like pushing meta info and markers and
delta notifications to this layer.

If you are referring to the mentioned Monitoring API, this is not about
moving delta notifications to EFS.
But John A. explained it some mails earlier.

I've been investigating the branched FS issue. iFS (integrated file system
on i5/OS) is indeed very different from what I know already about
filesystems.
However it seems like a small change in EFS API will be enough to support
such filesystems.

Regards
--
Szymon Brandys
Staff Software Engineer

IBM SWG Lab, Cracow, Poland
IBM Polska Sp. z o.o. oddział w Krakowie
ul. Armii Krajowej 18
30 -150 Kraków

NIP: 526-030-07-24
Sąd Rejonowy dla m.st. Warszawy, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy KRS
KRS 0000012941, Kapitał zakładowy: 3.073.600 PLN

             "Schaefer, Doug"
             <Doug.Schaefer@wi
             ndriver.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  "E4 developer list"
             eclipse-incubator         <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@eclipse.o
             -e4-dev-bounces@e         rg>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [resources] Lazy Resources

             Please respond to
             E4 developer list
             <eclipse-incubato
             r-e4-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

I'm also worried about complexity. I think we need to be careful about what
we push down to the file system layer. And I think we do need to keep them
stateless, or we're losing all the advantages of making this a separate
layer.

So I'm opposed to suggestions like pushing meta info and markers and delta
notifications to this layer. That's what resources are for. Resources for
the most part have served us well. Our initial goals were to make them
flexible. All we were really trying to do is loosen the bonds between
resources and the underlying file systems. And that really meant not
assuming that the file system parent/child relationship matched the
resource parent/child relationship.

I do think we need to add features to EFS to allow it to more accurately
model file systems and to allow operations that clients of the API need to
perform there in a generic manner. For more file system specific
operations, adapters could be deployed to allow clients easy access to the
real objects underneath. But that should be all, to keep it simple.

Prototyping the APIs and file system implementations will help guide us on
the cleanest solution that meets our needs. And once we get the e4 project
provisioned we can get started on that.

Doug.