RE: [eclipse-incubator-e4-dev] [resources]File systemlayer requirements

>> To be clear, while file system level notification is good (we have this
today on Windows), it's not a replacement >> for delta notification at the
project layer. What deltas provide are *batched* notification of changes to
both
>> physical....

Moreover there are issues logged in Bugzilla for system level notification
support on Linux and MacOs and people willing to help (I think). So maybe
we could work out API and then implement this new API instead of
RefreshProvider one.

--
Szymon Brandys

             John Arthorne
             <John_Arthorne@ca
             .ibm.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  E4 developer list
             eclipse-incubator         <eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@eclipse.o
             -e4-dev-bounces@e         rg>
             clipse.org                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [resources]File   systemlayer
                                       requirements
             Please respond to
             E4 developer list
             <eclipse-incubato
             r-e4-dev@eclipse.
                   org>

Doug wrote on 10/15/2008 10:33:36 AM:

> > For me interesting part of JSR208 is WatchService API. I
> > think that we could consider having file system notifications
> > in EFS, instead of RefreshProvider API available only on the
> > resource layer.
>
> This is a good question. I don't think we've totally thought through the
> delta notification mechanism yet. I think by default we're putting it in
> the Project layer. I'll take a look at JSR 208 (or is it 203?) and get a
> feel for what they are trying to accomplish.

To be clear, while file system level notification is good (we have this
today on Windows), it's not a replacement for delta notification at the
project layer. What deltas provide are *batched* notification of changes to
both physical files and corresponding resource *metadata* (deltas are a
description of everything that happened since you were last notified).
File system level notification typically involves fine-grained, unbatched
notification of changes in the file system only (they describe a moment in
time rather than a span of time). So, while FS notification can be used to
reduce the notification lag on changes made directly in the file system, it
can't in any way replace the benefits clients are getting from the resource
delta mechanism today.

eclipse-incubator-e4-dev mailing list
eclipse-incubator-e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx